Preparing for RTSRE 2018

I'm heading to Hilo on the Big Island soon to attend the Robotic Telescopes, Student Research and Education Conference (RTSRE), followed by the International Astronomy Teaching Summit (iNATS). I'll be speaking at RTSRE about Project PANOPTES, in a joint hour long session with two other members of the project, with a panel discussion about PANOPTES as our wrap up.

The focus of my talk is the process of building a PANOPTES robotic telescope, and mentoring other builders (which includes helping to build the PANOPTES community). The main challenge is to keep my portion of our hour to just 15 minutes. Fortunately I have an opportunity to practice my talk at this week's July ATMoB meeting, during which I've been allotted 15 minutes too. Thanks, Glenn!

Something I've been doing when preparing recent talks is to keep the number of words per slide really low (sometimes zero) and instead emphasize photos and diagrams. I don't want the audience spending their time reading, especially if I'm planning to say the same thing that is one the slides. For example:
Custom Telescope Pier

One thing I like about this is that I can get through a lot more slides if I'm not waiting for the audience to read the slide... or worse, reading aloud the slide myself.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts