Android Emulator -- Please Wait

I'm trying out the Android Development Tools (Eclipse-based), and have been very frustrated at the fact that the Hello World application wouldn't run. The emulator just sat there display the word Android (not the logo) for several minutes until I gave up:



I searched for suggestions, and it turned out that the problem was simply that I was being impatient. The first time you run the emulator with a specific Android Virtual Device (avd), it sets up a bunch of image files, and this is apparently rather time consuming.  After a while, you see this screen (SDK 1.6) with the animated Android logo:



And finally, it reaches the home screen (or your application, depending on how you launched the emulator):



So, apparently patience IS a virtue. :-)

Comments

  1. This post was an absolute livesaver!!
    I've spent the last day chasing a non-existent bug in Eclipse / ADT.
    I presumed that a project creation error was causing the HelloWorld app not to work but after reading this post I realise that I was just being impatient with the emulator.
    I feel mildly daft now to say the least.
    Thanks for your post :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts